At the New Heroes, New Futures exhibition held at Ventura Lambrate, one thing was almighty: the grid.
Together with Z33 - House for contemporary art - REcentre - centre for sustainable design presents the exhibition New Times, New Heroes.
Part of this exhibition is Openstructures.net, a project that explores the possibility of a modular construction model where everyone designs for everyone on the basis of one shared geometrical grid.
The project initiates a kind of collaborative Meccano to which everybody can contribute parts, components and structures.
Accordingly, all manner of objects have been designed using the grid, such as bicycle wheels and parts, containers and even USB-sticks.
Conceived by Thomas Lommée, a number of designs, prototypes and projects using this grid are presented at the exhibition. One such project is Jon Stam's Imaginary Museum. By hacking a View-Master to 'play' digital discs, Stam has enabled designers to intimately present their collections in the Imaginary Museum. To view a collection all you have to do is place a disk in the viewer and press the leaver to change scene. "It just so happened my disks fit the grid exactly," says Stam. "Therefore I am also contributing to the OpenStructures programme."
Click on the images to enlarge
Points of sale
( 1 Votes, average: 3 out of 5)
click to vote
- Amsterdam Fashion Week 2013
- Dutch Design Week 2012
- Milan 2012
- Amsterdam Fashion Week 2012
- Dutch Design Week 2011
- Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2010
- Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2011
- Dutch Design Week 2010
- Dutch Design Double 2010
- Milan 2010
- Design.nl 100th Issue Favourites
- Dutch Design Week 2009
- Dutch Design Double 2009
- Milan 2009
- Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2009
- Going Out - Restaurants, bars, cafes, clubs and hotels
- Graphic Design Festival 2008
- Dutch Design Week 2008
- Retail Therapy - Where to buy Dutch design
- FreeDesigndom 2008
- Milan 2008
- Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2008
- Design.nl Tokyo favourites